Still no Sign of Air Asia # QZ 8501 Air Plane, Indonesia’s Aviation Safety Practices under fire after Air Asia Crash

Still no Sign of Air Asia # QZ 8501  Air Plane, Indonesia’s Aviation Safety Practices under fire after Air Asia Crash

The Transportation Ministry had revealed hard measures on Monday against everyone who gave permission to Air Asia 8501 to take off without proper permits which includes the suspension of airport’s operator and officials in the control tower. The licenses and schedules of all airlines flying will also be examined to see if they violate the rules stated by Djoko Murjatmodjo, acting director general of air transportation.

The crackdown comes as searchers continue with the bad weather while combing the Java Sea for bodies and wreckage of the Airbus A320 that crashed on Dec 28 by killing all 162 passengers and crew on board.

The plane was travelling between Surabaya and Singapore on a Sunday; officials have also said that the popular route was only for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, Air Asia  have switched those three days. While the Airline investigation is being held, Indonesia announced that they stopped all Air Asia Flights between Surabaya and Singapore.
Murjatmodjo said that the ministry has issued a Directive ordering all Airlines to provide proper and up to date weather reports before takeoff.

Many Airlines emerged after Indonesia deregulated its aviation industry in the 1990s, making air travel affordable for the first time for many in the world's fourth most populous nation. But a string of accidents in recent years has raised urgent questions about the safety of Indonesia's booming airline sector, with experts saying poor maintenance, rule-bending, and a shortage of trained professionals are partly to blame.

Air Asia Flight which began its operations in 2001 and became one of the most low cost air travels, and also it has not experienced any crashes. It is not known yet what caused the Air Asia Flight 8501 to crash into the Java Sea 42 minutes after taking off which was supposed to be a two hour flight. Just before losing contact the pilot told air traffic control that he was approaching threatening clouds, but was denied permission to climb to a higher altitude because of heavy air traffic. 

As the plane’s disappearance has a massive international hunt has been underway, 37 bodies have been recovered, including three more Monday, and sonar has identified five large pieces of what's believed to be the plane on the ocean floor. Divers have tried to get a visual on the objects, but strong currents, silt and mud have kept them from reaching it.
"I will facilitate the families of the victims who want to see the scene directly and how rescuers are battling high waves and bad weather to search for their loved ones and the plane," said Gen. Moeldoko, Indonesia's top military commander. "We'll prepare two aircraft and a warship for them to go there and throw flowers."

Susweta Bose  [Masters in Mass Comm ] 
Sub Editor